Tuesday 28 May 2013

Saved by the bell

Last night I made sure to set two alarms; one for 7 AM and one for 7:30 AM, just in case I wanted to sleep a little longer.  This morning I woke up to a knock at my door.  I slid to the edge of my bed and tried to hop out, but the blankets wrapped around my legs didn't fall loose and I stumbled into the wall.  I managed to kick my feet free and answer the door (after a second knock) in my cereal-box t-shirt and pyjama shorts with dishevelled hair.  It was Ashley—wearing her coat and ready to go.  “Hey,” she said as she looked me up and down.  Instantly knowing it was time to go to school, I told her I’d meet them there.

I quickly got ready and grabbed a couple slices of peanut buttered toast to eat on my way to school.  I hung up my coat, grabbed my indoor shoes, and rushed over to Vera’s grade 6 class.  I got to class just in time to stand (wearing one shoe) for O Canada and their prayer.  Since this was our first time with the class this trip, we did the category activity.

In Pat's grade 1 class we coloured thermometers to represent each day of data they had.  We will string all of the coloured thermometers together to create a pictograph.  The students thoroughly enjoyed colouring.  With Meeka's grade fours we coloured panels for a temperature pictograph as well as a wind speed pictograph.

Pat's grade 1's coloured thermometers.
Meeka's grade 4's coloured thermometers and wind blades.
 Before lunch we headed to Darlene’s grade 3 class.  They were very eager to see us again and show us some of their other school work.  They are doing a unit on fish right now, so they made a mural with 3D fish and each student made a 3D shadow box with fish swimming around.  They also really enjoyed our project—when we asked them what they wanted to do with their book of data, they shouted, “Do another one!”
Darlene's grade 3's mural.
Darlene's grade 3's shadow boxes.
After lunch we did the categorizing activity with Yvonne’s grade 5 class; the last new class.  Then headed to Tamie’s grade 6s, Leah’s grade 5s, and (a different) Yvonne’s grade 7s to start working on their projects with them.  A lot of the classes are starting to blend together in my mind because they are doing such similar things.  My group in the last class is drawing a picture of them making a measurement.  Before we left the school, we found a map with Igloolik and Avvajja on it to illustrate where we went on Sunday.
Sakku, Ronnie, and Qumangaapik's artwork.
Map with Avvajja and Igloolik.
When we got back to the hotel after school we agreed to meet up at 6:30 for supper.  I decided to take a short nap before reading.  At 6:40 I woke up to Ashley knocking on my door for the second time today, asking if I would like to eat supper with them.  After supper, we quickly went through the remaining data and prepared for tomorrow.  I think the guys have gone off to work for a bit, but I am going to head to bed—I can start to feel a tickle in my throat and I don’t want to be sick for the rest of the week again!

1 comment: